Sunday, September 21, 2014

Getting ready to Occupy the Road

Light rain on camper window Road to Pueblo, topAs a light rain falls on the windows of this Camper Van, I feel very comfortable as I type this update on the preparations I ma making for my new adventure in Pueblo with Occupy the Roads.  As my departure was delayed until Monday, I will have two stories actually waiting for me upon arrival.  In the mean time I have been working on  my “Road Ready” gear, methods (media and accommodations).   While covering theOccupy Road to Pueblo, Prep in the Van (9)  Compressed small MINIMovement, I learned fast how important it is to have your work  flow, and the minimal equipment Road to Pueblo, Prep in the Van (7)  Compressed small MINIneeded to be able to publish stories, as well as produce (video) from the field.  I often get comments on how I carry an extra monitor with me on the road (if physically possible).  This is a major asset when working with multiple programs at once.  It is imperative that I can view the changes in a given program as I make changes.  Regardless of video, photography, or creating a page like this, having two screens is a big advantage.  As a blogger, I am rarely not multitasking.  Even in sparse, “in the field” conditions,Road to Pueblo, Prep in the Van (10)  Compressed small MINI Road to Pueblo, Prep in the Van (8)  Compressed small MINIhaving the right tools will definitely expedite ones ability to create and publish content when time is a definite factor.   
Time will be a factor beginning this week, as I research and publish simultaneously.   Hopefully the preparations IAt jenny  blairs in van (2)  Compressed small MINI make now will pay off later, although I know from years of experience of working in the field, military or media, one is really never fully prepared, so the more I do now, and  the rougher it is, the better I will be prepared once I get on the road and start to work.
Time will tell if I have chosen the right gear, and developed an efficient enough work flow to keep up and do the work that I feel is very important.  The story needs to be told, and if corporate media won’t or is not allowed to cover it, then it is up to the citizen journalists and free lancers like us to do the job.  As a veteran, I also feel a strong sense of duty to let the people know what is occurring out there.  
Wish me luck. 
I also need to mention, if not by name, all of my friends , and special friends (you know who you are) that have been helping and assisting me in a variety of ways.  Thank you.